- Obstacles are plants and rocks that are randomly placed in your village. You start with about 40 obstacles around your village. You can remove them if you have an available Builder and a small amount of Gold or Elixir. Gold is used to remove rocks and Elixir to remove vegetation.
- Each obstacle that is removed will yield 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 Gems. The distribution is not random and follows the following repeating sequence: 6, 0, 4, 5, 1, 3, 2, 0, 0, 5, 1, 0, 3, 4, 0, 0, 5, 0, 1, 0. This means on average, each obstacle cleared yields 2 Gems. This pattern does not include 25 gems yielded from the Gem Box or the holiday themed obstacles like the Halloween Headstone (2014) which yields Elixir; the X-mas Tree (2012 , 2013, and 2014) yields Gold instead.
- Vegetation respawns at a rate of one item per eight hours, except if all the spaces in your village are totally filled. Furthermore, an obstacle will only spawn if there is a one tile buffer zone between the spaces in which it will spawn and another building or obstacle.
- Rocks do not respawn once they are removed.
- You can't place buildings on obstacles.
- Since vegetation respawns, and removing one may yield Gems, removing vegetation regularly can be an unlimited (albeit slow) source of Gems. This could be a good idea to farm Gems.
- Your village can have a maximum of 40 obstacles at one time.
- There is an achievement called "Nice and Tidy" which gives players Experience and Gems for removing 10/50/500 obstacles.
- Troops can be spawned beside and/or on top of obstacles.
When the game respawns an obstacle, the respawn weight represents the chance of that particular item being the one that appears. Also, a new obstacle called the Gem Box was added, but quickly deleted due to a few glitches relating to how many Gems it gives. They have been added back into the game on April 9, 2014, the update that added Clan Wars.
|Type||Size||Removal Time||Experience Gained||Removal Cost||Respawn Weight|
Rocks, once removed, do not reappear.
|Type||Size||Removal Time||Experience Gained||Removal Cost|
|Stone (small 1)||2x2||10s||4||500|
|Stone (small 2)||2x2||10s||4||500|
|Stone (small 3)||2x2||10s||4||500|
|Stone (small 4)||2x2||10s||4||500|
Tombstones spawn when attacking Troops are killed.
|Type||Size||Removal Time||Removal Benefit||Event at which appears|
|Tombstone||1x1||Instant||Gives 20 Elixir||Attacking or defending Elixir troop is killed.|
|Dark Tombstone||1x1||Instant||Gives 1 Dark Elixir||Attacking or defending Dark Elixir troop is killed.|
The Gem Box is a mysterious box packed with gems! You can only have 1 gem box at any time in a village. Clearing the Gem Box costs 1,000 Elixir, takes 30 seconds to clear and will give you 25 gems. The gem box is rare but in the recent update they made them more common.
During the Winter 2012 Update, they added a X-mas Tree that gives 30,000 Gold when cleared, which was then increased to 50,000. On 3 January 2013, Supercell indicated on the forums that people will get to keep their trees even after the winter theme is gone. The 2012 X-mas Tree appears as a small tree with flashing colorful ornaments.
During the Winter 2013 Update, they introduced another X-mas Tree that gives 75,000 Gold when cleared. The 2013 X-mas appears as a small tree with golden garlands, a golden spikeball on top, and two skulls at the bottom of the tree.
Video of X-mas tree (2012) being chopped down and the reward: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YC0GPHflw
|Type||Size||Removal Cost||Removal Time||Experience Gained||Removal Reward||Respawn Weight|
|X-mas Tree (2012)||2x2||25,000||30s||5||50,000||2%|
|X-mas Tree (2013)||2x2||25,000||30s||5||75,000||2%|
|Halloween Headstone (2014)||2x2||25,000||30s||5||75,000||2%|
|X-Mas Tree (2014)||2x2||25,000||30s||5||75,000||2%|
|Present (From X-Mas Tree (2014))||1x1||N/A||Instant||0||5,000||N/A|
- The gems yielded by the obstacles are determined by a fixed sequence, not by their respective removing cost.
- The rainbow effect on the Gem Box might be a reference to the saying "there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow".