I know that many people ask advice on what to upgrade next. In some cases it may be lv 10 archer tower vs lv 10 cannon. In other cases it may be harder to judge, such as 2 lv 11 cannons or one inferno tower.
I have compiled some data using the clashofclans wikia as my source and have organized it according to which gives you the most bang for your buck.
The data can be found here . The giant column on the left has data organized by each tower. The data set on the right side of the page has all tower put together. The values that I am comparing are Cost/(πr^2*ΔDpS). What that means is cost (cost of upgrading a tower by one level) is being divided by the product of area (pi*radius squared) and increase in damage (delta DpS).
Some peculiarities that the data reveals are
- Going up in tower levels does not mean they are less efficient upgrades (Hidden Tesla values decrease instead of increase from towers 4 to 5 to 6)
- X-Bows (air) level 1-3 and Inferno towers (multi) levels 1-3 are more worth it than upgrades of lower total gold. Ex. X-Bow (air) lv 1 trumps archer tower lv 7
- Hidden teslas are incredibly bad (The last 5 hidden tesla upgrades are ranked in the top 10 least cost effective upgrades.
- X-Bows were calculated set to air, making their range lower.
- Inferno towers were calculated on multi-target using a x5 multiplier to their damage.
- Cannon is the only tower that can only attack ground troops (it is worse than its values predict).
- Hidden tesla can be hidden (it is better than its values predict).
- Hidden tesla and inferno tower are only 2x2 (they are better than their values predict).